Michele,
I would be interested in responses to this as well, just as a point of
discussion.

We've had several similar scenarios and dealt with each one differently.
We have one collection where we try to show both box and reel locations
by putting the reels and frames in the <physdesc> tag in the <c02> and
<c03> levels as appropriate.  I don't know how "right" that is, but that
worked with our style sheet.  The Guide to the Papers of Djuna Barnes
has about 2200 "rows"

http://www.lib.umd.edu/archivesum/actions.DisplayEADDoc.do?source=/MdU.ead.litms.0021.xml&style=ead

(for example)

I do think that is difficult to read on a screen, or even on a printout,
and not lose your place. We are working on revising our style sheets to
be more hierarchical in display to "solve" this problem (it's pretty
cool so far, actually, and I hope we'll be able to show people live in a
month or so - it's similar to the James Madison Carpenter Finding Aid
found here - http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/carpenter/browse.html), and
maybe change the print versions to list things like Series and Subseries
next to each item so that people can tell quickly where they are.

Our Papers of Spiro T. Agnew guide is over 12,000 "rows" (only open if
you are certain of your browser stability and Internet connection...)

http://www.lib.umd.edu/archivesum/actions.DisplayEADDoc.do?source=/MdU.ead.litms.0021.xml&style=ead

Series III, Subseries 5, which is even difficult to navigate to in our
current stylesheet, is a PDF, just to try to keep the finding aid from
crashing people's browsers.  (You can do a "find" for "Subseries 3.5: to
find the link).

I really dislike the way we had to handle this - it just feels awkward
to me. It wasn't too hard to make the PDF since all of our EAD data is
in database form, but still it was an extra step I'd like to avoid! And
I have seen other posts on this listserv with questions about elegant
and seamless ways to break up finding aids and am not sure if anyone
came up with any answers? If they did, I'd love to know!

So, I don't have any answers - but I share your pain and am interested
in solutions people might have.

Jennie

--
Jennie A. Levine