Hi Stephen,

I haven't had to do this much with EAD and XSL:FO, but instead with MODS
and plain XSLT.

I agree that a <seg> element would work nicely.  I could even see room
for introducing attributes on seg or emph like xml:lang and script like
MODS uses.  This could allow a more granular distinguishment for a piece
of text from the larger document-wide language and script settings
coming from <langusage>, etc.  I could see real systems benefits and
useful hooks stemming from this granularity.

That said, using <emph> doesn't seem egregious.  I certainly wouldn't
bat an eye at doing so! :)  I'd still agree with you that a seg element
would work well.

Clay