A question for those who have some experience with multi-language EAD
instances.

When creating xsl:fo one has to explicitly set @language-family to a font
that will display the desired language. This is not a problem for
western/romance languages since FOP's default font set has glyphs for these.
It is a problem, say, for Arabic. There is a font I know of that has glyphs
for the entire Unicode character range (at least as of version 2), that
comes pre-installed on the most recent Windows releases, Arial Unicode MS.
It is, however, particularly ugly and I'd like apply fonts for 'exotic'
languages at a much finer level.

I'm thinking that

altrender="set_font:Iqraa">المرسل إليه</emph> is not, and neither is
this<emph render="altrender" altrender="set_font:Pigiarniq">ᓴᓕᑦᑐᑐᖅ </emph>
.</p>

is 'acceptable-ish' but might abuse <emph> somewhat; this is not for
linguistic effect. And it doesn't capture the essence of what I'm trying to
achieve or tell one anything meaningful about the language.

How have others dealt with this given the lack of a generic text
segmentation element?

(I guess that this is an informal call for something like the TEI's <seg> in
EAD v.3).

Thanks,

St.

Stephen Yearl
Systems Archivist
Yale University Library::Manuscripts and Archives