A question for those who have some experience with multi-language EAD instances.

When creating xsl:fo one has to explicitly set @language-family to a font that will display the desired language. This is not a problem for western/romance languages since FOP's default font set has glyphs for these. It is a problem, say, for Arabic. There is a font I know of that has glyphs for the entire Unicode character range (at least as of version 2), that comes pre-installed on the most recent Windows releases, Arial Unicode MS. It is, however, particularly ugly and I'd like apply fonts for 'exotic' languages at a much finer level.

I'm thinking that

is 'acceptable-ish' but might abuse <emph> somewhat; this is not for linguistic effect. And it doesn't capture the essence of what I'm trying to achieve or tell one anything meaningful about the language.

How have others dealt with this given the lack of a generic text segmentation element?

(I guess that this is an informal call for something like the TEI's <seg> in EAD v.3).

Thanks,

St.

Stephen Yearl
Systems Archivist
Yale University Library::Manuscripts and Archives