Colleagues,
        I am in the process of upgrading some less-than-full database records for incunabula to PCC level.  I am, of course, creating NARs as needed.  My question deals with special fields with local information that libraries have included to represent provenance, etc.  Does the appearance of a $5 in certain fields obviate the need for creating authority records?  I'm reluctant to delete fields that other libraries have added, but I really see no need to try to establish NARs for such headings.  I find no information in the BIBCO manual that deals with this question.  Any advice?

        Marty Joachim
        Lilly Library
        Indiana University Libraries