From: onet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:12 AM
To: Håvard Hjulstad
Cc: GREG KOZUBEK
Subject: Re: ISO 639 encoding proposal: Silesian

Dear Mr Håvard Hjulstad and Ms Rebecca S Guenther,

Thank you for your e-letter of 19 Sept 2006.

We appreciate your suggestion that our Silesian language should be coded under the sil identifier for Lower Silesian or pol for Polish with its Upper Silesian dialect.

However, we cannot agree to this makeshift solution on several grounds.

First, Lower Silesian (Niederschlesisch) is a Germanic dialect of the German language, also sometimes used for literary pursuits as in the works of G. Hauptman’s. Second, it is faulty to classify the Silesian language as an Upper Silesian dialect of Polish, because from the point of view of areal dialectology, Silesian construed as a dialect is as much a dialect of Polish as of Czech. Third, we believe that our Silesian language (based on Upper Silesia’s Slavic dialect and Slavic-Germanic creole, nowadays, spoken in Poland, the Czech Republic, and among the [Upper] Silesian diaspora in Germany) deserves a separate identifier code, like aforementioned Lower Silesian, because literature has been created in Silesian. Fourth, the speakers of Lower Silesian identify themselves as Germans, while the speakers of our Silesian language identify themselves as the Silesian nation separate from the Poles, the Czechs, or the Germans.

In the 2002 Polish census, Poland’s largest national minority registered in this census (with 173,000 members) is that of the Silesians. 50,000 of them declared the Silesian language as the language of everyday communication in families.

Hence, in the view of these facts, Silesian is not a mere Slavic dialect, or a dialect sometimes used for literary purposes (like Germanic Lower Silesian), but a national language of the distinct nation of the Silesians. A language in which the Silesians speak, and in which literature is created and an increasing number of printed, internet, audio and TV texts of various kinds are available.

The ethnogenesis of the Silesian nation and its language was recently presented and analyzed in the following book:

Tomasz Kamusella.2006. Silesia and Central European Nationalisms: The Emergence of Nagtional and Ethnic Groups in Prussian Silesia and Austrian Silesia, 1848-1918. West Lafayette IN: Purdue University Press.

A shorter version of his argument, also covering the 20th century, is available in:

Tomasz Kamusella. 2003. The Szlonzoks and Their Language: Between Germany, Poland and Szlonzokian Nationalism. 2003. Florence, European University Institute: Working Papers Series of the Department of History and Civilization (HEC 2003/1). [http://cadmus.iue.it/dspace/handle/1814/1351] [PDF]

Almost twenty books in Silesian and about the Silesians and their language were published by Mr Andrzej Roczniok’s publishing house, Nacyjna Łoficyna Ślunska (in Silesian) / Narodowa Oficyna Śląska (in Polish)  (http://www.republika.pl/narodowaoficynaslaska/).

The name of the Silesian language is: Oberschlesisch, Wasserpolnisch, Schlesisch, Slonzakisch in German; język śląski or język górnośląski in Polish; slezsky jazyk or hornoslezsky jazyk in Czech; slůnsko godka, ślůnsko szpracha or szlonski jynzyk in Silesian. In English it is commonly referred to as Silesian or Szlonzokian. All the terms can be used for retrieving further documents on the Silesian language from the web.

In addition, in May 2003, the ISO 639 Registration Authorities' Joint Advisory Committee (JAC) approved the Alpha-3 identifier: csb for the Kashubian language. Until 2005, the Polish authorities considered Kashubian a dialect of Polish, and now recognize it as a regional language. (The approach is similar to the German view of Lower Silesian.) The Kashubs see themselves as part of the Polish nation, like Lower Silesian-speakers who consider themselves part of the German nation.

If such regional and dialectal languages as Kashubian and Lower Silesian can be supplied with their specific identifier codes, the more right Silesian, as the national language of the Silesian nation, has to be provided with its separate identifier code in order to ensure the preserving and development of linguistic diversity and heritage in Europe.

I hope that these arguments convince you to consider allocating our Silesian language an appropriate code, nowadays already enjoyed by almost extinct Lower Silesian, or languages with much fewer speakers than Silesian, for instance, Sorbian. In addition, we believe we have supplied you with all the materials and met all the requirements stipulated by the guidelines posted by the JAC to ensure the swift allocation of an appropriate identified code for the Silesian language.

Sincerely,

Andrzej Roczniok and Gregory Kozubek