Hello All,

In April I discussed the situation of Upper and Lower Silesian, and their relationships to Czech and Polish with the Ethnologue staff. After that, I sent this message (on 26-4-2006) to the JAC (I have removed the earlier discussion that was mostly information from the applicant):

Hello All,

I discussed the matter of Upper Silesian and Lower Silesian as they are identified in the Ethnologue with the Ethnologue Editor, sharing with him the information provided by the applicant. He reviewed the sources of the Ethnologue information. We also did some independent research for English language references, finding this reference particularly helpful: Hannan, Kevin. 1996. Borders of language and identity in Teschen Silesia. New York : Peter Lang. Our conclusion is that a previous editor had, in effect, switched the relationships of Upper and Lower Silesian language varieties to Polish, German and Czech, mistakenly identifying Upper Silesian as a dialect of Polish, rather than Lower Silesian (a conclusion which agrees with the submitter's expanded information.

We believe the simplest solution would be to correct the name confusion:
  1. leave the code [sli] as it is and just change the name for [sli] from Lower Silesian to Upper Silesian
  2. change the name of the Polish dialect from Upper Silesian to Lower Silesian.

If this would cause more confusion than it would resolve (as, for instance, with the existing references in Wikipedia), we would alternatively propose retiring [sli] 'Lower Silesian' and merging it into Polish, and creating a new code element for Upper Silesian (perhaps [szl]?).

---------------

Personally, I favor the second solution (the unnumbered statement in the final paragraph), as I think the two steps suggested (by the Ethnologue staff) would leave lingering confusion--would, in essence, violate the identifier reuse principle, even though the original use was a result of error, not intention. The identifier for Polish would not be adversely affected by either approach.

I can recommend to our Ethnologue staff to initiate a formal change proposal along either course of action, or I suppose the JAC can do so. Or I can ask the original requester to make a formal proposal to add Upper Silesian to Part 3 (though I think we have required quite enough from them already).

Basically, the resolution is just awaiting final adoption of Part 3 so we can get the formal change process rolling. Which leads me to ask: when did it enter Final Draft International Standard status and when is the voting to be finished? And where does the question about SIL as the RA stand?

Regards,

Joan Spanne
SIL International

Håvard  Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>

09/28/2006 05:55 AM
Please respond to

cc
Subject
FW: ISO 639 encoding proposal: Silesian

To JAC,

The message below is forwarded to the JAC.

Any comments?

Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
mailto:[log in to unmask]