Hi Håvard

There was much discussion during the MA meeting with regard to this; I did
not attend this meeting.  However, during the meeting of the WG when I
raised this again many members agreed with the view I expressed that the
data had become so contentious that perhaps it should be taken out in future
editions.  My committee at BSI had produced an A4 statement re-iterating the
concerns as expressed by the JAC and also including the fact that English is
not an official language in England; as well as one or two other facts and
figures not least that the UN had been looking at this for years and felt it
was a political mine field.

When I asked for a timescale for the next update I was told 5 years.  I felt
this was unacceptable as it would mean (by the time it had gone through the
ISO process) that the data would not be deleted for at least another 8
years.  I asked if it would make more sense to go to FDIS-2 but there was
some opposition as technically the document had passed the vote and was due
for publication as IS according to ISO rules.  I suggested a NWIP and this
was accepted. Members from DIN wished to be involved as there are minor
changes that they would like to see made to the standard; we have already
had some dialog in this regard.  The timescale was thus reduced from 8 years
to 3 years for the deletion of the data.  The result was the resolution
posted earlier.

I also pointed out, during the meeting, that the data should have been
deleted at DIS stage as 6 out of the 9 countries that commented on the DIS
had asked for it to be removed.  I had received this information from
Michael Everson (who in turn had received it from Rebecca) and I think this
was the turning point for some members. Letters from the JAC and Members
voting against the FDIS were more than extremely useful.  I think it was a
united effort.

If anyone would like to be involved in this NWIP I would be pleased to hear
from you.

Best regards

Debbie