Hi --

Take a look at the following from the MODS site:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsl

This stylesheet converts MODS to a 'simple HTML display'. The opening
xsl:stylesheet element:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
	xmlns:mods="http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3"
	exclude-result-prefixes="mods" >

associates the namespace ('http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3') with the
prefix 'mods' you can use to reference elements in the namespace.
I've always found it useful to start from a known working state, so I
hope this gets you started.

Good luck --

Joe