Identifying and Analyzing Extremist Groups’ Digital Artifacts
Friday, December 1, 2006
1:00 p.m. — 4:00 p.m.
(See Meeting Announcement MA2007-11 online at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/ma/2007/ma0711.pdf)

Researchers and librarians supporting homeland security projects need to understand the wealth of Web-based artifacts available. Many agencies and their libraries are developing strategies for identifying, organizing, analyzing and providing access to Web-based cultural artifacts generated by terrorist and extremist groups.

This presentation will discuss the challenges in mining these digital artifacts and review the relevant technologies available for identifying,
analyzing and accessing terrorist/extremist groups’ Web-based artifacts (e.g., documents, videos, audios, images, Web sites, etc.).

Join Dr. Edna Reid, Associate Professor, Department of Library Science, Clarion University, as she answers these critical research questions:

o  What images are frequently used in the groups’
o  Web sites, documents, and videos?
o  What do they mean?
o  Where can I find typologies of terrorist groups’ videos?
o  Where can I find databases of the groups’
o  images, videos and documents?
o  What studies make use of these resources?

Date
Friday, December 1, 2006

Time
1:00 p.m. — 4:00 p.m.
(Registration begins at 12:30 p.m..)

Place
The Library of Congress
Madison Building
Mumford Room, 6th Floor
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC

Metro
Capitol South
(Orange/ Blue Lines)

Sponsor
FLICC Education Working Group

Information
Call FLICC (202) 707-4813
TTY (202) 707-4995

Cancellations
Cancellations must be made 48 hours prior to the start of an event or the full fee will be charged.

Registration
$75. 00
Register online at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/feveform.html.