Hello,

I am in the process of creating protocols for a digitization project and have a quick question about the SourceType field in the NISOIMG metadata standard.

I want to use values from the Getty's Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) to populate the SourceType field and am wondering exactly what types of values to use. The definition given by NISOIMG is that the field "specifies the medium of the analog source material...," and below that they state it deals with the "General or specific nature of the original item" (according to LC). So if I am digitizing a collodion dry plate negative then I can use the value "dry collodion negatives," or if I am digitizing a black and white image I can use "black-and-white photographs." But what about paper documents?

My question is, if I have a shipper's manifest and a piece of correspondence, both of which are written on paper (the same medium), but have disparate natures (as per LC), do I describe them as both being "paper (fiber product)" if I can't tell what type of paper they are. Or do I describe them as "manifests" and "letters (correspondence)" .

Thanks to all for any help. I'm new to the NISO standard and want to get it right.

Elia

--
Elia Van Lith
Archivist