This won't be anything like a real answer, but may possibly be of
interest.  In my own work (using the first person to refer mostly to
programs), I've found the need to distinguish three kinds of
information in the series treatment fields (usually in this order of
precedence):
         1) Local practice
         2) PCC practice
         3) LC practice

"Local" practice is easy: subfield $5 contains a code for one of the
institutions that participate in our local database (with my own
institution coming at the head of the list, followed by other local
participants).  "LC" practice is also easy: subfield $5 begins
"DLC".  Having eliminated these two, PCC practice is anything else,
whether explicitly so labeled in $5 (in more recent records) or not
(in older records).

Anyone still awake?  In case there is more than one series treatment
field of a particular tag in the same group (for example, multiple
645 fields with code IEN in $5), I pick the first one.  When there
are multiple occurrences of the same tag in the same practice
category, it's difficult (OK, impossible) for a program to separate
those that represent current versus past practice (we trace it, but
we didn't in the past) from those that identify different kinds of
current practice (this is the basic numbering pattern; this is the
numbering pattern for 'new series'); using the first one is the best
I can do at present.

At 08:22 AM 11/1/2006, A. Ralph Papakhian wrote:
>hi,
>
>in the core record standards, we read:
>
>4XX (Series statement)
>
>     35) Transcribe all series as found on an item in either a 490
> or a 440 field. All traced series must be supported by a national
> level authority record. Untraced series need not be supported by a
> national level authority record. If a national level series
> authority record already exists for the series, follow the first
> tracing practice indicated on the record and record the series and
> tracing appropriately (i.e., in a 490 field, a 440 field or a 490/8XX pairing)
>

>this is clear on the face of it. but what is appropriate practice for
>a national level record if the series authority record has two
>645 fields (neither with the DPCC code)?:
>
>645  n $5 DLC
>645  t $5 ICU

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.