We too make a point not to link headings in OCLC to undifferentiated
name authority records. Right now OCLC's software requires a two-step
process when you try to link to a personal name heading without dates.
The message displays: "Note: Requested control is for an unqualified
personal name." I've always assumed that OCLC does this so that people
will stop and make sure the link is not to an undifferentiated record.
However, something more forceful is needed since we *do* find name
headings incorrectly linked to undifferentiated NARs.

If anyone from OCLC is monitoring this list, perhaps this suggestion
will be noted and looked into ... and, better still, acted on so that an
automated mechanism can be set up to disallow such links.

Sue

Adam L. Schiff wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion that raises issues involved with
> linking headings to authority records.  Because of the problems
> involved, I make it a point not to link headings in OCLC to
> undifferentiated name authority records.  I wonder if anyone else has
> a policy about this?  It might be useful if OCLC didn't allow such
> links, since the potential for a flip of a heading to a heading for
> the wrong person is very high.
>
> Adam
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Adam L. Schiff