Roger,

Thanks for the info.  I'll certainly keep it in mind if I buy or resell any
old CD's.  I believe there are lots of people who still don't know about
this.  See also my reply to Mike, also posted today for more comments.

Sincerely,

Ron

At 12/6/2006 11:50 AM -0800, you wrote:
>This is all very old news,that has been discussed for years since the
>early 90s,in regards to CDs.I can't speak for DVDs,but I would imagine
>it's very similar.I first read about this probem, in "Goldmine",and "The
>Absolute Sound",two magazines well known for their  anti-CD bias,where it
>was discussed extensively.There were pro-CD advocates,who called us
>alarmist and luddites,but the increasing number of CDs from the 80s,that
>are now unplayable bear us out.
>
>I have tried selling older CDs ,on eBay,and I must say it's a crap
>shoot.Earlier this year,I sold one of those pre-1986 Columbia Paul
>McCartney CDs,pressed by Sony in Japan.It was returned to me as
>unplayable.Before I tossed it out,I popped it in my computer to play
>it.Indeed there were large sections of the CD,where there was dead
>silence. Comparing the surface to a new CD,there was indeed subtle,but
>noticeable discoloration.Was this caused by oxidation,or electronic altering ?
>
>The collector CD market is going under,but it is still there for now. I
>would never recommend selling an older CD without playing it
>first.Lamination peel,and leaching of paint into the disc's playing
>surface are both very common problems.
>I remember encountering the latter problem as long ago,as 1989,when I
>worked in a record store,and bought used CDs.
>
>The archival quality of gold as a medium,is well established,and companies
>who make audiophile CDs that sell for 4-5 times what a regular CD
>does,have been using 24k gold on thier CDs,since about 1988-89 or so.
>

>                                       Roger Kulp

------------------------------
Ron Frazier  --  P.O. Box 2284  --  Cumming, GA  30028  --  770-205-9422 (O)
Email: rwfrazier AT macdatasecurity DOT com  (replace the AT and DOT by hand)
I am an independent consultant interested in exploring ways to archive data
over long periods of time.
Recordable DVD's & CD's can fail in 2-5 years.  Don't let that happen to
YOUR data.
    Get your GOLD Archival Grade DVD's & CD's from
http://macdatasecurity.com/ today!
http://c3energy.com/ --- http://c3energy.com/alt_energy/
http://c3energy.com/computersecurity/ --- http://c3energy.com/health/