Hello all,

(Please excuse cross postings.)  I recently posted an article about digital
preservation.  I also quoted cost factors for a digital mass storage
system.  Someone wrote me about it and questioned the numbers.  I have
looked at so many articles lately, my head is spinning.  They all blur
together.  The figures did not come from Britain.  They came from
Sweden.  So, I figured I'd issue a correction.  The first link below shows
the source where I got those figures.  These three links are some of the
best I've found thus far, though not by any means all of them.  Many of the
resources I've found came directly from this list.  Some others came from
links I found from those links.  Thanks to those of you who posted the
original information in your archives.

I've posted a reference to this list over in the Records Management and
Archivists lists that I'm on.

http://www.tape-online.net/docs/Palm_Black_Hole.pdf - The Digital Black Hole
Jonas Palm
Director, Head of Department of Preservation
Riksarkivet/National Archives
Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0508130 - A Fresh Look at the Reliability of
Long-term Digital Storage
Authors: Mary Baker, Mehul Shah, David S. H. Rosenthal, Mema Roussopoulos,
Petros Maniatis, TJ Giuli, Prashanth Bungale
Subj-class: Digital Libraries; Databases; Operating Systems
Here's the PDF file: http://www.arxiv.org/PS_cache/cs/pdf/0508/0508130.pdf

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001477/147782E.pdf  - Risks
Associated with the Use of Recordable CDs and DVDs as Reliable Storage
Media in Archival Collections - Strategies and Alternatives
By Kevin Bradley. National Library of Australia, Canberra
UNESCO, Paris 2006

Sincerely,

Ron

------------------------------
Ron Frazier  --  P.O. Box 2284  --  Cumming, GA  30028  --  770-205-9422 (O)
Email: rwfrazier AT macdatasecurity DOT com  (replace the AT and DOT by hand)
I am an independent consultant interested in exploring ways to archive data
over long periods of time.
Recordable DVD's & CD's can fail in 2 - 5 years.  Don't let that happen to
YOUR data.
    Get your GOLD Archival Grade DVD's & CD's from
http://macdatasecurity.com/ today!
http://c3energy.com/ --- http://c3energy.com/alt_energy/
http://c3energy.com/computersecurity/ --- http://c3energy.com/health/