I make a choice: 2-3 CDs and/or DVDs plus access copies OR a place in
the file system and 1-2 CDs for access. More things are staying in
the file system these days. It's at 1250 GB triple redundant and one
250G volume is personal and demo media -- and it's about full.
DigiPix are a separate (not full) 250G volume. Client hold stuff is a
third, work in process is a 4th, and all the other stuff is a fifth.
I do not hold most client files more than 3 months after delivery.

I have some projects that will necessitate expansion.

For private and some institutional clients I do CDs. I'm also doing
downloads for some of my clients for smaller jobs and one DVD set to
institutional clients when the job size is small enough not to
warrant a hard drive.

I encourage clients to make backups and keep the gold media I send
them pristine.

Cheers,

Richard