Tom Fine wrote:
>I ask again, why is album release date particularly important? I
>would think session date/info is enough.

I find it very important to know when the public first encountered a
recording. It is not good enough to assume that taking recording date
and adding a certain number of months for pressing and administrative
procedures will equal release date. There are cases when issues were
held back and not released in a timely fashion after recording. I
have seen plenty of published books and articles that make the
incorrect assumption that a 1961 public would have heard a recording
made (recorded) in 1961, but which in fact was not issued until, say,
1987 (and even catalog numbers can be misleading). This applies not
only to first issues but also to foreign releases. When was an
alternative take first heard? Release date, not recording date, gives
the answer. Even recent reissue release dates are important. Knowing
that an LP was rare and little-heard until a CD reissue says
something to the researcher.

To this end, the discographical database I use allows for the storing
of issue release date, down to the day if known (in addition to
session recording date), and I have devoted several bookcases to
storing nearly 50 years worth of Schwann catalogs.

Mike

mike at jazzdiscography.com
www.jazzdiscography.com