Bob Olhsson wrote:
> At 5:26 PM -0500 12/7/06, Jerome Hartke wrote:
>> A high quality DVDR written at 1X is superior to a high quality CD-R
>> written
>> at 52X. Be careful with generalities. Many DVDR playability issues are
>> unrelated to the media or writer, and are caused by the failure of old
>> players to recognize a DVDR disc because of obsolete firmware.
>
> In my case I have to load my clients' audio files from DVDRs almost
> every day and I'm not alone in finding them to be far less reliable than
> CDRs. How exactly do you define "superior?"

I'll not attempt to answer for Jerry, but I will say that a poorly
written DVD of any flavor is even less likely than a flaky CD-ROM to
give a clean file. Perhaps in part that's a consequence of the greater
capacity, often inducing people to write larger files than needed.

A good DVD blank written at 4x gives excellent results. At 16x and
above, I've had problems which I suspect at times derive from buffer
underrun protection being invoked so often. That's quite noticeably an
issue if a DVD is copied on the fly; I've a four-bay duplicator which
even at 4x invokes buffer underrun protection several times near the
beginning of the disc.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/