Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> [...]

I hope we're not belaboring this subject, but at the risk of that, let
me add some notes.

Your first point is well taken, which is why I suggested medical media,
where quality and longevity are mandated by the process and, in some
cases, by law.

The second is less clear. If the market is not large enough to support
reasonable cost - say ten times that of standard product - then there
may well be no manufacturer. There was a time when RCA would press a
custom disc if the customer had the high but standard price; that day is
long gone, presumably because that price with all its overhead was
excessive.

Your radio example is valid. Presumably, Scott built the 800-B as a
proof of principle and as a personal indulgence. My guess is that its
$1500 price did not mean profit for the company. At that price, there
would have been too few purchasers to do great harm to the company.

But the CD-R manufacturer of whom I wrote was more comparable with a
Haffler trying to work in a high-production environment. You can make a
radio or a preamp by hand, but it takes massive capital investment to
make CD-Rs. In fact, it takes ever more investment as the quality target
rises regardless of how many units are sold. And there is another factor
for the newcomer to the quality market: proof. You can prove many of the
virtues of your Scott 800-B by listening and by measurement. But how
does one prove the longevity of a CD-R? And how are claims made credible
versus such established champions: T-Y and MAM?

Perhaps lining up with the few users of quality in quantity we will be
able still to find archival media in several years. But the archival
market alone is unlikely (IMHO) to suffice.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/