My understanding is that the NAVCC (when fully up and running at full
capacity) will in fact be significantly larger then other
repositories that you mention. This was mentioned in passing by
several vendors who responded to the RFC for the acquisition of the
storage subsystem. I do not know personally if that is true, but the
vendors responding were the players who would have been in a position
to know that kind of information and I have no reason to doubt them.
The repository for NAVCC is however very specialized due to the
mission - and there are many things to look at with repositories on
the scale that we are discussing - access for example is an important
area. Some repositories may be smaller in terms of the amount of TB's
stored, but may have very large bandwidth requirements due to the
access requirements. Others may be much larger but could essentially
be "dark" archives which collect information but have it only
accessed infrequently - so which is "bigger" depends very much on how
you define your terms.

An article on the NAVCC is located here.
http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/06078/navcc.html

Jim Lindner

Email: [log in to unmask]

   Media Matters LLC.
   SAMMA Systems LLC.
   450 West 31st Street 4th Floor
   New York, N.Y. 10001

eFax (646) 349-4475
Mobile: (917) 945-2662
Office: (212) 268-5528

www.media-matters.net
Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in
archival audio and video material. We provide advice and analysis, to
media archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to
collection management.

www.sammasystems.com
SAMMA Systems provides tools and products that implement and optimize
the advances in modern technology with established media preservation
and access practices.