Hello, I am new to this listserve but I thought I would check it out
to see if anyone out there can recommend some good sources to find
audio from old news reels. I am an independent producer working on a
radio piece about the scoring of war, or in other words the music --
the crash of drums and trill of the horns -- that often accompanies
news stories about war. I have some sound from recent newscastS but I
was hoping to get my hands on some good WW2 newsreels or some music
that was used by theaters when they played the silent newsreels from
WW1.

Also, I am looking for the sound of a ram's horn or town crier
handbell -- instruments used to announce war back in the earlier
centuries.

And being independent, that means I don't have a lot of money to
spend. UCLA, for example, has some great stuff, but they charge 5
dollars a second to license audio with a 300 dollars minimum. I don't
think I can spend that much so if anyone has any suggestions about
where I  can find some inexpensive war sound, please write.

Thanks!