As time and generations pass, a resource identifying first label of issue
and relese dates will be come increasingly necessary.   There is a forty to
fifty year accumulation of LPs.  Since swe are all part of the generation
for whom they are a daily experience, we assume everyone knows and those
that follow will always know the lore relating to them.  But 50 years from
know, who will remember if the Mercury, Golden Import or World Series
release came first, perhaps had tube processing sound and was pressed on
quite material?  I'm already running into this with the small mono
companies.  And where did all tjose Mercury monos in the brown or green
covers come from?  Some came from U.S. Silvertones (the Enesco conducting
sides).  Are the performer names real on them? (not always.)

Now is the time to sum up.

Kurtz Myers "Index to Record Reviews" include his untanglings.  The "Record
Ratings" short version cover util c. 1956 (though it says later).  The
latter is around for c. $ 25, the former, 4 volumes at $ 500, the
supplements $ 100-200 per volume.  Or less, if you're lucky.  It covers
mostly classical releases.

Steve Smolian