Tom,
This arrangement your parents had sounds costly,and not one most people could  afford.I think you're saying they had a custom-built  room made ?

If you and I are thinking of the same kind of crates,the wood is very thin and the boards  split easily,when any weight is applied.They also tend to fall over,if they are stacked too high on their sides.

                                  Roger Kulp

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote: For what it's worth, when my parents moved into the house I grew up in, a few years before I was
born, they decided to consolidate their very large collection of records and tapes -- at least those
not in my father's office at the studio. The basement was non-ideal because it's too wet and too
dark/dank for my mother in any case. So they decided to put them all on a long wall, floor to
ceiling, in their shared office room. The contractor planned out the shelves and then did weight
estimates and promptly changed the plan so that first of all, the shelves were on a structural wall
and second that there were new reinforcing columns added below. He did something where the weight is
centered on a foundation wall (stone and morter) because the wall is where the original house meets
a late 1800's expansion (the office is the ground floor of the expansion). The shelves have been
chock full -- I mean full to the brim -- of records and tapes since 1964 and no problems thus far.
I'd estimate the weight must be approaching a ton, spread down a 15' or 20' length. The shelves are
hardwood, I think.

In my house, I have a similar shelf, but it's free-standing on the carpeted concrete slab
downstairs. I just stacked up a wall's worth of those pine cubes you can find at AC Moore and other
stores. AC Moore has a coupon in our pennysaver each week, so all were bought at 30 or 50 percent
off sticker. There's another similar stack in the furnace room for my extensive collection of audio
books and magazines.

By the way, at 128K MP3, the entire wall at my parents' house could fit in an 80-gig iPod, half a
deck of cards. The quality would not be anywhere near the original, though.

-- Tom Fine