BIBCO Libraries,

Please have a look at OCLC record #66740382.  This record was input by a Dutch
library according to Dutch cataloging rules, and then it was made into a BIBCO
record, but the 040 still indicates that the language of cataloging is Dutch
(subfield $b) and that the rules are other than AACR2 ($e fobidrtb).  We
have found two others like this as well: #71741327 and #71664336.  The
same library is not responsible for all three.

OCLC policy for catalog records in languages other than English is that we
are supposed to create a new "parallel" record in English and link to
records in other languages of cataloging for the same resource by adding a
936 field: see OCLC technical bulletin 250:
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/tb/250/ OCLC's
Bibliographic Formats and Standards also includes instructions on this:
http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/specialcataloging/#BCGBAEHC

We have created a local policy incorporating OCLC's guidelines:
http://staffweb.lib.washington.edu/monos/catdocs/pararec.html

It may be that some PCC catalogers have forgotten this policy, or that
libraries switching over from RLIN are unaware of it?  Cynthia Whitacre at
OCLC has confirmed that OCLC has not changed any of its policies regarding
creating parallel records.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger