Hi Renette,

Since I won't be able to attend the meeting, I'm sending comments to you
now.

This is especially on your category "Monograph - Single record
approach."  If I am understanding you correctly, you are advocating use
of the 533 to note the availability of an electronic reproduction on a
record also meant to represent a print edition.  In my experience, this
is not the way the 533 has been used in monograph records, at least in
OCLC.  Monograph records with a 533 field are meant to represent ONLY
the reproduction; the fact that the original print version is described
in the body of the record is just a cataloging shortcut.
The development by the Library of Congress of this 533 model for
reproductions dates back to microform reproductions and pre-dates the
single-record approach that is now being used to represent
print/electronic editions with one record.

There's no question that this is now a very muddled situation but
documentation by OCLC and LC still indicate that records with 533 fields
are not meant to be single records representing multiple versions. (That
being said, however, LC is obviously ambivalent about this as can be
seen in the last sentence of the LCRI 1.11A below).  Up to now, a quick
way to tell "reproduction-only records" from "single records" is that
reproduction records use field 533 to describe the other format, while
single records use a 530.  The problem here is that the 530 used in the
single record doesn't have as good subfielding for description details
as the 533 does so I can see why it might not meet your needs.

I know that all this is in flux and I personally have never liked the
533 reproduction model, so I'm not defending it.  It's just that I'm
concerned that records for various permutations of electronic resources
are proliferating in OCLC and it is getting more and more difficult to
interpret what version(s) a record represents. I'm also concerned about
your suggested use of the 533 in a separate record for the monographic
electronic edition.  If you are describing the digitized version in its
own record, wouldn't the details of that version be part of the basic
record and not require a 533?   I'm afraid a looser use of 533 will only
add to the confusion unless OCLC rethinks its "master record" approach.

It may be that the real problem here is that the 533 field has been
turned into an edition identifier and given a role and importance far
beyond that of a descriptive note, making it difficult to reclaim it now
as simply descriptive information.  As an alternative, could OCLC's
Local Holdings functionality be tapped into for piece-specific
preservation detail (http://www.oclc.org/localholdings/default.htm)?

Anyway, I've given below some existing documentation on the use of the
533 that would need clarification for this new use of 533 (I've bolded
the key sentences).

Celine Noel
UNC-Chapel Hill

--**From OCLC's Bibliographic Formats and Standards, Field 533**
(http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/5xx/533.shtm):
For *electronic resources*, use field 533 for information describing a
remotely accessed electronic reproduction of a work previously published
in printed form, including electronic books, as outlined in Library of
Congress Rule Interpretation 1.11A. **Apply this practice only when the
reproduction manifestation is represented by its own bibliographic
record, separate from any record for the original print version. *

***********************
*--*LCRI 1.11A*:
Non-Microform Reproductions
LC practice: Follow these guidelines for reproductions of previously
existing materials that are made for: preservation purposes in formats
other than microforms; non-microform dissertations and other
reproductions produced "on demand"; and, electronic reproductions.
**These guidelines identify the data elements to be used in the record
for the reproduction, separate from the record for the original.** For
some electronic reproductions, however, LC may delineate details of the
reproduction on the record for the original manifestation rather than
create a separate record for the reproduction. LC catalogers should
consult "Draft Interim Guidelines for Cataloging Electronic Resources"
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/dcmb19_4.html> for more information
(other cataloging agencies may have developed their own guidelines in
this regard).

*************************
--*Cataloging Electronic Resources: OCLC-MARC coding guidelines*
(http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/cataloging/electronicresources/default.htm):

 >>Option 2: *Single record with a reference to the electronic item*

You may create a record for the nonelectronic version and add an
annotation about the existence of and access to the electronic version.
The nonelectronic version is the primary version and the electronic copy
is secondary.

  1. Select the workform based on the current definition of "Type" and
     the primary aspect of the item.
  2. Do not input field 006 for the electronic version.
  3. Do not code "Form of Item"(008/23, 008/29, 006/06, or 006/12,
     depending on bibliographic format) for the electronic version.
  4. Optionally, include field 007.
  5. **Note the availability of the electronic version in field 530.**

 >>*Electronic Reproductions of Items Previously Published in Print Form*

In May 2000, the Library of Congress issued a revised version of LC Rule
Interpretation 1.11A. The revision expands LC's "microform exception" to
AACR2, outlined in the related LCRI for Chapter 11, to include remotely
accessed electronic reproductions of works previously published in
printed form (including electronic books). **This practice applies only
when the reproduction manifestation is represented by its own
bibliographic record, separate from any record for the original.**

... Give in a single note (533 field) all other details relating to the
reproduction and its publication/availability, including format of the
reproduction, dates of publication and/or sequential designation of
issues reproduced (for serials), place and name of the agency
responsible for the reproduction, date of the reproduction, physical
description of the reproduction if different from the original, series
statement of the reproduction (if applicable), notes relating to the
reproduction (if applicable).

--*OCLC's When to Input a New Record*
(http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/input/default.shtm)

     *533 Reproduction Note *

*Absence or presence of field justifies a new record. *Having the
information in field 500  instead, does not justify a new record.

[I translate this as:  If you have the original item, do not use a
record with a 533 reproduction note; if you have the reproduction, do
not use a record that doesn't have a 533]