You are correct sir. Lewisohn Stadium was on the campus of City
College in NYC, specifically on 135th Street. The orchestra consisted
mostly of NY Philharmonic players but they were augmented by players
from the Metropolitan Opera, which did not have a summer season in
the 60s when I attended a couple of hundred concerts at the Stadium.
There were also a number of freelance players. Often the 3rd chairs
of the NYPO played the 1st chair during the summer, so Paige Brook
was the flutist instead of John Wummer and freelancer, and orchestra
contractor Loren Glickman played second bassoon in place of Frank
Ruggieri who played in an orchestra near his summer home in New
Jersey (how's that for esoteric information???)

I fondly remember Brahms and Beethoven festivals conducted by Joseph
Krips and guest appearances by conductors like Vladimir Golschmann,
the up and coming Seiji Ozawa, Alfredo Antonini, and composers such
as Stravinsky, Copland, Walton, and every year the season ended with
a 'surprise" appearance of Richard Rodgers.

Saturdays were reserved for "pops concerts" with artists such as Jose
Greco and Earl Wild playing Gershwin. Tickets were very cheap
although my friends and I usually rustled up some passes from the
orchestra members.

I believe that the Stadium Symphony that recorded for Everest was the
regular personel of the New York Philharmonic.

Eric Goldberg