Our brethren and sistren involved in preserving books and other
printed matter have developed many fine products for archival repairs
of books and other printed matter.

I have been using Scotch brand No. 845 Book Tape to mend the edges of
LP sleeves for many years; I have had no trouble with deterioration over time.

I like the clear 845 Book Tape because it does not obliterate the
text at the edges of the sleeve, but if that's not an issue,
University Products offers both Tyvek and linen tapes that would also
be useful for repairing record jackets.

The University Products catalog is a great resource for both repair
and storage products:
http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/.

One minor issue about using tape to repair record jackets: If you use
tape on a lot of records, the thickness of the tape (always in the
same places along the edges) can accumulate to reduce the total
number of records you can store on a shelf.

John Ross