Hi Richard !

Now that you mention it, I've encountered  that scenario as well ! Very
true that it doesn't come off either.

BH

>>> [log in to unmask] 2/15/2007 10:00 AM >>>
Hi,

Experience here suggests that when paper sleeves are found welded to
the surfaces of shellac discs (or their printed words and images are
imprinted on disc surfaces), that's the result of moisture and that
the discs have usually been permanently damaged.

Richard

At 09:15 AM 2/15/2007, you wrote:
>I'd have to go with Steve's conclusion that if moisture got a
foothold
>anywhere in the surface, the freezing would cause it expand and break
>the disc or wax cylinder. Especially if the records were never
touched.
>Unfortunately, I don't believe dessicant would have helped in a
severly
>cold atmosphere as the moisture has to be part of a warm atmospheric
>environment to work.
>
>Bob  Hodge
>
>Robert Hodge,
>Senior Engineer
>Belfer Audio Archive
>Syracuse University
>222 Waverly Ave .
>Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010
>
>315-443- 7971
>FAX-315-443-4866

>Hi Bob,
>
><sarcasm>Do tell</sarcasm>.I had a terrible experience a few years
>back,where my 78s were in an unheated room for most of one winter.I
came
>back in the spring,and lost at least a dozen to breakage,and I never
>touched them.Among them,one of the records from my Siemens Von
Karajan
>set,my Ray Charles "Kissa Me Baby",on Swing Time,and my Argentine
Decca