Bob Olhsson wrote:
> David Lennick writes:
>> Ya know..I've had minimal DAT failure in the 15 years I've been using them.
>> Machines come and go, but DAT tapes I recorded way back when, even at 32k
>> ("archive speed"), still play just fine.
>
> My old DAT tapes play fine too. The problem is that the transports are no longer made and were never repairable. Tape quality also took a nosedive around 8 years ago.

I haven't found that..but as I mentioned elsewhere in my message, I don't buy
"DAT" tape (most of the name brands had lots of problems..I found HHB to be one
of the worst). I use DDS tapes, which I believe are manufactured to tighter
specs. Sony, Maxell, 3M (don't think I've seen any 3M for a while actually) and
I buy from American Digital
http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/category.asp?c=159

..dl