Steve,

Sorry for the late response to your post, but as a member of the ARSC
TC, I do take your considerations seriously.

I can tell you that our company is wrangling with these types of
issues all of the time, as there are different types of ring tone
file types based on the network provider. Then, there is the issue of
"what do we archive"? Is it the source (.wav) file only, or do you
grab all of the different carrier versions? For many of our label
clients, this has become a part of the delivery requirement (don't
get me started on voicemail clips, etc.). Our default is to collect
EVERYTHING when possible.

Of course, most of the time, the ring tone is merely a snippet of the
stereo mix file that went to replication for CD manufacturing, but is
that all we should concern ourselves with? There is also the issue of
metadata (mostly for tagging and search) that accompanies the e-
commerce files (iTunes, etc.). There is a group called DDEX (Digital
Data Exchange) (http://ddex.net/) that is working towards the
standardization of this subset of metadata to enhance the hand-off to
e-commerce sites.

Good post, these are major issues - born digital content is coming to
an archive near you very soon.....

John

John Spencer
www.bridgemediasolutions.com