I received the email below (below) that I can't answer. Does anybody
know if there are other Civil War soldiers besides Polk Miller who later
made recordings?

An interesting question. Reply to me or the list and I will forward to
the individual.

David Seubert
UCSB

------------------

Sir,

You have several recordings by Polk Miller.   Miller, a great favorite
of Mark Twain, and a now all but forgotten once major American
musician,  may be best remembered for the pet products he produced for
his dog "Sergeant."  "Sergeant's" is still a best selling brand after
over a century.

Miller was a Confederate soldier, took his banjo along to war, and
served in the same Batteries as my great grandfathers.

You have a copy of his singing "The Bonnie Blue Flag"; which with
"Dixie"  comprised  The South's two most popular National Songs.

Surely he  played this song hundreds of times in camp (See Ted Turner's
cameo comment in *Gods and Generals.),*   along  the road to Gettysburg
etc.  Surely my ancestors, whose saving his obituary etc. reflects a
friendship,  heard him regularly. .

It brings The War close to today.

But I wonder is this the only surviving rendition of one of the
two major Southern hymns, by a Confederate Soldier?
Is this the only surviving recording of a Civil War Song made by a
participant on either side?

There are millions of relics of The War, but I never thought there would
be an audible one.

Thanks.