I haven't moved 1/4" tape pancakes, but if you are transporting anything
in quantity (anything more than about 15 to 20 boxes), it is far safer
and often more economical to box the material on site, load them onto
pallets, wrap the pallets in shrinkwrap, and then have a moving company
pick up and transport the pallets. This virtually ensures that the boxes
can't be tossed around as the pallets can only be moved with a forklift
or pallet jack. You still need to take precautions for
weather/temperature and pack appropriately, but it eliminates the need
for double boxing and (often) individually wrapping fragile items.
Universities often have pre-negotiated contracts with a moving company
at a substantial discount (at least UC does). We've moved both 78 and
cylinder collections this way without damage.

We also recently bought about 50 Attached Lid Containers (those plastic
cartons with flip up lids that drug stores get merchandise delivered in)
that are perfect for moving things via a courier or shipper.

David Seubert
UCSB