I'm going to get whipped for this, but I'll say it anyway: I don't see
what is so terrible if large large record companies simply disappear.
Music has been around much longer than the recording industry, so I do
not think that the quality of music itself would suffer. And certainly
there must be other business models for musicians to make a living
without having to feed a huge machine that often sucked their blood,
especially now that the means to record music are available to so many.
Big Music generated lots of money for over a century, but only a very
small proportion of all musicians saw that money. Perhaps Big Music is
just not good for music anymore.

Marcos