Actually, other than special packaging jobs, like the Albert Ayler box
of a few years back, the standard configuration for box sets of CD's is
the slipcase. This allows multiple discs and a booklet to be housed in a
box that still matches the same profile and can be displayed/ shelved
without deviation from the standard CD dimensions. The terribly wasteful
longbox, to my knowledge, thankfully has not been used for anything
whatsoever for many, many years.

AA