Hi, Jerry,

It depends. MOST (but not all) boxes with
pancakes had inserts that took up the space of
the flanges within the box forming a safe, tight
pack. Other times, panckes came on plastic trays
that nestled in a 10- or 12-pack. Either of these
methods are fine to ship pancakes.

If you're talking one or two, certainly screw
flanges on, but if you're talking 50-100, and
they are packed as originally sold, the damage of
handling the tape is, in my opinion, greater than
the risk from moving damage. I would tape each
box closed after inspecting that the pancake is
tight. Then I'd pack the whole thing in a tight
carton. If these are extra-valuable AND you're
shipping by common carrier, I would wrap that in
single-sided corrugated wrapping and tightly
stuff it inside a larger box. The goal here is to
prevent crushing that would spring an individual
box open and crush the pancake.

Empty reels are selling for $30 these days,
although flanges may still be cheaper, but you
also have to get the hardware. The nuts with the
screw-like tapered heads on them are called "sex
nuts" believe it or not. I think US Recording Media has the pieces.

Cheers,

Richard