We still use the Shield Pack sleeves for lacquer discs here at LC.   I believe that the issue of inhibited air exchange arose from a very early practice of sealing the discs in the sleeves.  Obviously that was a bad idea.  Otherwise, we have not noted any problems with air exchange or accelerated degradation of lacquers.  The only problem we have had with the sleeves - and this was with a later "batch" we had manufactured -  was that the sleeves arrived badly warped.  These we only use for rigid discs - glass or metal-based lacquers - and not for more pliable vinyl or even shellac.

Gene DeAnna
Head, Recorded Sound Section
MBRS Division
Library of Congress
(202) 707-3108

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 02/14/07 9:44 AM >>>
>2. Is anyone familiar with foil-lined sleeves? I have not seen any
imprinting or other problems with the discs, but is there concern
of outgassing or any other problems?

Marcos,

These may be a type of sleeve known as the "shield pack".  As far as I kno  w
they have been discontinued not because the sleeves off-gassed but, because
they inhibited air exchange (i.e. created a micro-environment)and seemed to
in fact accelerate the degradation of lacquered discs, which of course do
off-gas.

I seem to recall that they were developed at least in part by the Library
of Congress and, if that's so, someone from LC could probably give you a
more complete history.

Best,

Danny

Daniel Sbardella
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY  10023

212.870.1609