-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education
& training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lois M. Chan
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AACR2 Availability

Last time I checked, AACR2 (2002 with updates), both new and used, was
still available on amazon.com and ebay.com. Anyone ordering from these
sources should double-check the edition; many copies of old editions are
also advertised.

At 12:24 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
>To avoid cluttering the list with individual replies, let me thank all of
>you for the sympathy. In some perverse way I'm happy to know my students
>are not alone and that ALA Editions is not responding to the obvious
>seasonal trend in their sales. We are clearly not appreciated as a
>reliable customer base for AACR2.
>
>We do indeed have Cataloger's Desktop, though nowhere near enough
>simultaneous uses to replace requiring the paper textbook. And since we
>share the subscription with the library, we don't have full control over
>it and things go wrong. In the past three months we've had a subscription
>lapse and (worse) a later technical glitch on LC's side that claimed our
>subscription was cancelled for *three weeks.* I can't feel warm fuzzies
>about its reliability for teaching.
>
>All in all, I prefer the paper AACR2 as a teaching tool, because the
>students can physically manipulate it, and mark it up to appropriate it
>for their own use. I think it "studies" better on the dining room table
>with a notepad and hot cup of tea, no computer mediation needed. Some
>students who bought their copies used from other students were pleased
>that the copies came "pre-dog-eared" with handy post-its and flags. (The
>student who had the dumb e-mail from ALA Editions cancelled the order and
>quickly bought and received a used copy from a fellow student.)
>--
>Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
>Adjunct Assistant Professor
>LEEP Program, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

>The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.

Lois M. Chan, Professor
502 King Library
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0039
Telephone: 1-859-257-5942
Fax: 1-859-257-4205

[Opinions expressed here are mine alone and not to be attributed to the University of South Carolina.]

HEIDI LEE HOERMAN
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC 29205
PHONE: (803) 777-0485, (800) 277-2035 FAX: (803) 777-7938
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] (preferred)

U.S. Constitution. Article 1. Section 9. The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.