LC METS Profile for Historical Newspapers [Draft] structMap question

Hello all

The National Library of Australia is embarking on its Newspaper Digitisation Project and I have been looking at the LC METS Profile for Historical Newspapers [Draft] (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/test/ndnp/00000010.html).

I have a question about part of example 10 under structMap Requirement 2:

<mets:structMap>
-<mets:div TYPE="news:issue" DMDID="DMD_issue_ex10">
--<mets:div TYPE="news:page">
---<mets:div TYPE="news:image">
----<mets:fptr FILEID="IMG00001_ex10" />
---</mets:div>
---<mets:div TYPE="news:alto">
----<mets:fptr FILEID="ALT00001_ex10" />
---</mets:div>
--</mets:div>
-</mets:div>
</mets:structMap>

Are the nested divs for news:image and news:alto necessary? Is there a reason why you could not have:

<mets:structMap>
-<mets:div TYPE="news:issue" DMDID="DMD_issue_ex10">
--<mets:div TYPE="news:page">
---<mets:fptr FILEID="IMG00001_ex10" />
---<mets:fptr FILEID="ALT00001_ex10" />
--</mets:div>
-</mets:div>
</mets:structMap>

The reason I ask is that it seems a bit awkward when you add pageRegion. For example the page might have two page regions and there are image and alto files for the page as a whole as well as alto files for each of the page regions, as below:

<mets:structMap>
-<mets:div TYPE="news:issue" DMDID="DMD_issue_ex10">
--<mets:div TYPE="news:page">

---<mets:div TYPE="news:image">
----<mets:fptr FILEID="IMG00001_ex10" />
---</mets:div>
---<mets:div TYPE="news:alto">
----<mets:fptr FILEID="ALT00001_ex10" />
---</mets:div>

---<mets:div TYPE="news:pageRegion" DMDID="DMD_article01_ex10">
----<mets:div TYPE="news:alto">
-----<mets:fptr>
------<mets:area FILEID="ALT00001_ex11" BEGIN="P1_TB00005" />
-----</mets:fptr>
----</mets:div>
---</mets:div>

---<mets:div TYPE="news:pageRegion" DMDID="DMD_article02_ex10">
----<mets:div TYPE="news:alto">
-----<mets:fptr>
------<mets:area FILEID="ALT00001_ex11" BEGIN="P1_TB00024" />
-----</mets:fptr>
----</mets:div>
---</mets:div>

--</mets:div>
-</mets:div>
</mets:structMap>

Here, news:image div for the page is at the same level in the hierarchy as the news:pageRegion divs, which doesn't seem quite right. You could give the pageRegion divs an order attribute value of 1 and 2 but the image div at the same level in the hierarchy wouldn't have an order attribute. Wouldn't it be better and shorter to have:

<mets:structMap>
-<mets:div TYPE="news:issue" DMDID="DMD_issue_ex10">
--<mets:div TYPE="news:page">
---<mets:fptr FILEID="IMG00001_ex10" />
---<mets:fptr FILEID="ALT00001_ex10" />

---<mets:div TYPE="news:pageRegion" DMDID="DMD_article01_ex10">
----<mets:fptr>
-----<mets:area FILEID="ALT00001_ex11" BEGIN="P1_TB00005" />
----</mets:fptr>
---</mets:div>

---<mets:div TYPE="news:pageRegion" DMDID="DMD_article02_ex10">
----<mets:fptr>
-----<mets:area FILEID="ALT00001_ex11" BEGIN="P1_TB00024" />
----</mets:fptr>
---</mets:div>

--</mets:div>
-</mets:div>
</mets:structMap>

In other words only have divs for issue, page and pageRegion?

Bronwyn Lee
Business Analyst, Newspaper Digitisation Project
National Library of Australia