Jay,

I'm glad my previous post was helpful.  I use Oxygen with schema valid EAD files with no problems.

Look at your <ead> element in your file.  It should look something like this, which was pasted straight out of a file that successfully validates against the ead.xsd schema:

<ead xmlns= "urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9" xmlns:xlink= "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:xsi= "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation = "urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9 ../schemas/ead.xsd" >

Make sure of two things.  First, that the xmlns attribute declaring the xsi namespace comes before the xsi:schemaLocation attribute.  Second, check the content of the xsi:schemaLocation attribute.  The first part should be urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9.  Next, separated by a space, should be the local path of the XSD schema.  If the XSD file is in the same directory then it will just be ead.xsd.  If it is in a parallel directory, which is the case in my example, then it will be something like ../schemas/ead.xsd.  Hopefully this will work for you.

If you have chosen to create RelaxNG schema valid EAD instances, things are a bit more complicated.  There is no formal way of referencing an rng schema from an xml file.  If you do still choose to validate with RelaxNG, then in Oxygen you can use the external validation option, which is represented by the icon in the toolbar that shows a check mark with an ellipsis over it.

Good luck,

Mike Rush