These threads and the embedded topics are highly fascinating.
Unfortunately I think the ratio of smoke to light has passed far beyond
the useful.  I started some notes for a response, but I don't feel it
would serve any good.  With some reluctance, I've decided to cease any
routine engagement in public discussion of cataloguing principles --
objectives, rules, changes, catalogue-vs.-seachengine, "bibliographic
control" and kindred topics (with an exception noted below) -- and
confine myself to discussion of practical cataloguing.

I do this because, after ten years' engagement in these discussions,
I've reached the point where I can't bear any longer to go round in the
same circles, confronting over and over again the same attitudes.  The
levels of anger and frustration I'm feeling would very likely lead me to
intemperate statement (which, among other bad effects, would very likely
alienate friends and acquaintances whom I value), and probably without
bringing even any slight compensating benefit.  Whether I say what I
think or not, RDA will (or won't) come about, will (and won't) be
welcomed with glad cries, and will (or won't) be accepted and
implemented, and the recording of resources conveying the intellectual
and artistic creativity of human beings will go on -- to my satisfaction
or dissatisfaction.  (If you get the impression I'm disillusioned and
pessimistic, you're not entirely wrong.)

The remainder of my cataloguing career will be spent chiefly in trying
to do well the same kinds of things I've been doing.  Nothing I've read
and discussed in the last ten years has made me think that any part of
good AACR2/ISBD/MARC/LCSH practice is a waste of time, effort and
resources; so I'll stick to that (and try to get on with deploying the
NACO training I had last year).  Time and energy are looking
increasingly precious these days (I'll be 65 on Sunday)!  My cynical
tinge leads me to think that enterprises like the LC working group will
probably, at best, bring little more than small mitigation of what LC
management probably already intends to do by way of reducing and
simplifying LC cataloguing and, very likely, reducing its contribution
to and support for the shared cataloguing endeavours that we all depend
on so heavily.

I shall certainly go on observing the process; friends and acquaintances
will probably receive comments from time to time (and are free to quote
me, so long as I'm being polite).  And, the exception I mentioned: I'm
still eager to see the draft of FRAD, when it finally emerges into the
light, and plan to comment.  (I'm also committed to commenting on the
RDA drafts for the ACOC focus group.)  Otherwise, I just hope the
outcomes will be better than I expect.

Hal Cain, Senior Cataloguer,
Dalton McCaughey Library (formerly Joint Theological Library)
Parkville, Victoria, Australia