Hello,

Jim Walsh of Ampex recommended using Pellon fabric (available in
sheets of various weights at fabric shops, but also seen some time
ago as ribbons of various widths on spools for tape cleaning). Pellon
is a non-woven synthetic fabric (i.e., one that does not shed). It's
been useful here for mild deposits from "sticky-shed" syndrome (which
I seem to have had the dubious honor of "discovering" -- never wish
for "fame" -- your wish might be granted) and for cleaning dust and
dirt. The main caution is to set up your cleaning so that the debris
captured does not fall into the works of your machine and cause
problems that you didn't have before.

I'd recommend avoiding use of most foreign substances (others may
know of beneficial ones) and of paper towels, cloths of normal
fabrics such as cotton, or anything else that would shed and thus
create dust or debris and making sure to do the least possible to
achieve one's purpose (one can always repeat a cleaning run, but it's
a bit difficult, if not impossible, to put back anything that's
rubbed off that shouldn't be, such as the oxide that contains the
recorded signal).

Cleaning cassettes is a task that gives me the horrors; I'd recommend
seeking an expert for such work if one has more than half a dozen.
It's gaining safe access to the tape itself that's the issue in this
sort of task. I believe it may be your teacher who was the expert
recommended to me by several colleagues for cleaning and rehousing
audiocassettes.

I hope you'll hear from some of those on the list who have developed
machines and special techniques for tape cleaning, as I've learned a
good deal from them via this list.

Sincerely, Richard