From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Richard Hess wrote and shortened Eric Jacobs' mail:

Hello, just a short input:

1) the actual modulation on the records, during mastering and from the
finished record, is usually measured by the light-bandwidth (actually the
width of the band of light) method originally according to Buchmann-Meyer
(introduced into the US by Ben Bauer). That entirely bypasses the tracing
loss and other losses in the stylus-groove interface. So, you may be certain
that the test records are very close tolerance, but you must use an ELP in
order to get the benefit.

2) I believe that the delay (phase) problem of having a mismatch between pre-
and de-emphasis will be the predominant issue.

3) I worked my way through the various more or less official discussions on
pre-and de-emphasis for a paper I gave at AES: "Pre- and De-Emphasis - A
Forgotten Necessity", AES Convention Paper No. 5360, 110th Convention 2001
May 12-15, Amsterdam. The sad conclusion (in a discussion of standardization)
was that after the advent of the tone control, all standardization of this
nature lost its relevance.

Kind regards,

George