I first noticed these "Crosley" branded systems last fall at a Target
store in Louisville, KY. Later I found out that our library had
purchased a couple of the CR73 models at the local Wal-Mart for
inexpensive listening stations. They are pretty much what you'd expect
for a $99 phono/radio/cd/cassette entertainment center made in Asia.
Not the worst thing in the world, but you can do better for not much
more.

What is interesting to me is that the "Crosley Radio" (i.e. Modern
Marketing Concepts, Inc.) corporate office is in Louisville, KY. Given
that Crosley was a Cincinnati-based empire there may be a 'slim' chance
that this is a descendant, but I doubt it.
The whole Powel and Lewis Crosley saga is pretty amazing, from radios
and automobiles to broadcasting (WLW), WWII, and the World-Series. I've
just received a new book, ("Crosley: two brothers and a business empire
that transformed the nation" / Rusty McClure, D.A. Stern, Michael A.
Banks / ISBN 1578602912; 9781578602919) but have not started reading it
yet.

Berea College has some WLW transcription disks from the late 1930's
through the early 50's as part of our John Lair Collection (of Renfro
Valley fame.)

John H. Bondurant
Sound Preservation Archivist
Hutchins Library, Special Collections & Archives
Berea College
CPO LIB
Berea, KY 40404

Office: 859-985-3389