Folks,

Last week I opened up a plastic shopping bag that contained to things: a
slide carousel filled with 35mm slides and a reel of tape.  The pair
form a slide-tape show on the topic of, apparently, maple sugaring.

The first thing to greet me was the pronounced stink of vinegar.  Very
pronounced.

I assumed the tape was the culprit and put it aside to reek on its own.
  However, upon holding it up to light later, I did not encounter the
usual acetate translucence--the pack was totally opaque.

This got me thinking about the slides again.  Did Kodak (or anyone for
that matter, since the slides in the carousel seem to be a slightly
mixed bag) produce acetate slide film?  Could the slides be going vinegary?

And about the tape--it's a 7" reel of 1/4" tape.  Poorly packed.  the
backing of the tape has "Eastman Kodak Co" printed on it.  It's in a
black plastic Sctoch 211 box (the kind with the smoked plastic drop
front) and on a blue plastic Scotch reel.  It is my guess that the
recording dates from the mid 1960s--this is going on information from
the donor (whose father made the recording).

This whole thing confuses me a bit because it undermines two basics of
what I've been taught on the matter::

1. Only acetate will develop vinegar syndrome
2. Acetate tape will appear translucent when held up to light.

I am forced to consider that it could be a polyester tape with a vinegar
problem /or/ an acetate tape that is opaque when held up to light.

If the slides are going vinegary, could the vinegar problem have an
impact on polyester-backed tape?  Did Kodak make a non-translucent
acetate backing?

In any event, after separating the tape from the slides, the slides
still stink, but not nearly as bad, while the tape (which admittedly is
somewhat sealed in it's case) stinks as bad as ever.

Any thoughts?

Andy

--

Andy Kolovos