Edirol has an inexpensive sound card (the EX-1) for $85 that is 96/24
compatible.

At 09:31 AM 2007-04-03, Steve Ramm wrote:
>I know we have the experts here so I'll hope for replies.
>
>I saw this software advertised in Goldmine and went to their site.
Though I
>am not really interested in transferring all my vinyl or 78s to Mp3s
or CD -
>my  stereo equipment is in a separate room from my PC - I do have a
>large group
>of  cassettes - mostly radio shows which I;d like to record as
separate
>indexed  tracks (and even some Reel to Reels). The cassettes should
>be easiest as I
>can  use a boom box to play them into the PC. (I haven't figured out
yet
>where the  INPUT jack goes into my PC. I'm A PC nerd when it comes
>to the physical
>  technologies).

Steve,

For overall cleanup and burning CDs, the best package I've found is
the consumer "Audio Cleaning Lab" from Magix in Germany. It's about
$30-40 US. I am amazed at how much of the high-end stuff that is in
Samplitude and the Algorithmix plug-ins exists in ACL.

www.magix.com

It's available as a download version or a box version.

If you're going to do the transfer, get as good a cassette recorder
as you can, keep it clean, and hook it up to a reasonable sound card.
There are some under-$100 USB "sound cards" that might be acceptable,
certainly better than what comes on most PCs and especially better
than what is on some laptops.

Cheers,

Richard

Detailed contact information: