I have used software/instructions found at

video-2-ipod.com

It costs $34.95 and works fine on a PC, although it takes a while.  Part of
it is a decrypter and part of it is a transcoder (freeware called Videora)
that converts the decrypted file to a file that the iPod reads.  I think the
sticking point is the decryption, which would seem not legal.  I also had
problems with the sound.  The version of Quicktime/iTunes that came with the
iPod was fine, but I downloaded a new version of Quicktime/iTunes and during
playback from the iPod, the audio portion of the movies stopped after about
20 seconds, although the video continued.  Re-loading the Quicktime/iTunes
that came with the iPod restored the audio.  Quicktime strikes again.  I
only converted a few dvd's, because it is devilish hard to view a movie on
the iPod screen.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD