Upon reflection I can see that these phrases do not normally form
part of my core linguistic database (sic). I can only plead as
justification that I've obviously spent far too much time reading
predominantly American English websites in the last few days where
the author(s) have obviously scored well on "buzzword bingo".

I'm all for pushing the envelope, stretching the synpases to
redevelop a paradigm or two and reaching for the stars, and the like
though (sic).

I think "kicking the tyres" has British English origins though. I
think American consumers wouldn't kick the tires as there is probably
a warning in the tire user manual advising against this and, of
course, the potential punitive damage potential for damage occasioned
to a foot due to inappropriate interaction with a tire.

:)

Cheers, Darren