Tom Fine wrote:
> This must be a generational thing. I hate (HATE) movie theaters.
> Usually, the focus is blurry, the sound bad and the place full of loud
> smelly people. So I'll sacrifice the "larger than life" aspect of the
> visuals for the comfort of my own home and superb surround sound
> experience. As large flatscreens get cheaper and cheaper -- and the same
> case with digital projectors -- the day fast approaches when I'll have
> it all: a larger-than-life picture plus surround plus the comfort of my
> own home. Also, going to the movies costs well north of $10 per person
> if you get a medium nasty greasy popcorn and watered-down soda. And the
> movies made today aren't generally very good, in my opinion. I still go
> to an occasional IMAX movie because that truly is a super-real experience.
>
> -- Tom Fine

There is another choice: a media room.

Before I became ill, I often hosted music gatherings in my otherwise
modest home. For the purpose, I had a 14x35-foot room built onto the
house and installed a projector (since upgraded to DLP) and eight-foot
screen. I had to give up my Dahlquist speakers since they blocked the
screen, but the B&W's provided excellent surround to complement the picture.

In short, it's a more practical approach to a small theater or studio
screening room - and since I've been to screenings in the latter (I'm in
Los Angeles), I can say that while my own version is smaller, it's
better than some of the 'pro' installations.

Since some of my friends are members of the Academy, I have the
opportunity to see far more 'screeners' than time permits (and despite
the protective measures of the Academy have copied some for later
viewing). More to my taste is bringing opera into my home via that room.
A friend who visits weekly remarks regularly on the convenience of
attending the opera while kicking off her shoes and putting her feet up
on the table. (I listen from my recliner; they make do with the couch.)

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/