I have investigated this for filmstrips. I have one I'd love to put together for the AES Historical
Committee website. Have permissions and everything but haven't figured out the best way to do it.
What I last was learning toward was breaking the audio into "slide 1," "slide 2", etc and doing it
in Powerpoint, saving the file as a standalone-self-running Powerpoint presentation (Powerpoint 2000
and beyond, and maybe earlier have this as a Save-As option). This should then work on any Windows
machine. I suggested that we also offer the Powerpoint file for Mac users. Now, the problem is that
file size very quickly bloats up with decent-quality audio. I decided to bring audio down to 192K
MP3 since it's just an LP record soundtrack. I need to go back to the main WAV file, break it into
slide-sized files, get rid of the low-frequency frame-change signals and then coordinate with the
JPG's of the frames. The filmstrip is actually neato. It was part of a series "How People Work" for
elementary kids about different careers. This filmstrip features "Recording Engineer" and centers
around a Reeves Studios sound-for-video mixer. It's a well-executed and Reeves was in that
transition time when there was still a lot of tube gear next to the early 70's solid-state gear, and
this was back when commercials were shot and edited on film.

So what do you ladies and gentlemen think about using PowerPoint for this? My thinking was: 1)
ability for standalone-self-executing version; 2) semi-universal format and 3) ability to wed sound
with still image on a frame-by-frame basis. Drawbacks are: 1) proprietary format, and 2) given the
usual performance of Microsoft Office apps, no guarantee it will behave or look the same on all
computers.  We also discussed doing this as HTML with javascripts to play the audio but some web
browsers won't look or operate the same as others and some firewalls/security apps would prevent the
sound-player from starting. The AES server and webmaster setup is not able to host something like
Flash, so it can't be a server-side app.

-- Tom Fine