Hi Steve:

You are right about SoundForge lite, but I figured the other Steve wasn't even considering a
soundcard or interface capable of 96/24. I've never used Goldwave so I can't comment about the
interface. Bottom line, if it were me doing it I would certainly use 96/24 if I had that capability
and would get software capable of working in that resolution, so you give excellent advice.

And you and Richard are correct about there being decent if not very good cheap USB solutions that,
because they are external to the hash factory inside a computer, stand a much better chance of
running quiet. Some of the less flashy but well-rated USB interfaces actually cost less than
Soundcrapper Audigy. And either should be leagues better than anything on-motherboard either from
Intel or one of the Taiwan laptop motherboard makers.

One thing I didn't mention before is that a really bad excuse for doing bad transfers is "the stereo
is in the other room." Come on, anyone can temporarily move a cassette deck into the home office and
hook it up to the computer. Yeah, the LP playback system will be a little bit more of a struggle.

Interesting note about cassettes -- they may not be as dead as some think. I've been purging the
equipment pile and put two old (1980's) consumer cassette decks that work but are probably past
their prime out in the hall of my office building with a "free" tag on them. Both were gone very
quickly. I came to find out that two younger guys in the building had never actually owned cassette
decks, just car stereo players and boomboxes, and still had piles of cassettes they want to listen
to. They both planned to hook the decks up to their computers. I asked one of them, you never bought
the albums on CD? He said, why should I pay for something twice? Obviously not an audiophile but not
a dummy either.

-- Tom Fine